Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Day to Honor

In all the years that I have honored all veterans in thought on this day, especially those amazing men in my immediate family, I did not know how the date was selected. Logging onto the "net" this is what I learned...

Veterans Day is celebrated on 11th November, the anniversary of signing of Armistice that finished World War I. The main hostilities of World War I were properly finished at 11th hour of 11th Day of 11th Month of 1918 with German signing of the Armistice. An Act (52 Stat. 351; 5 U. S. Code, Sec. 87a) permitted 13th May , 1938, made 11th of November in every year an authorized holiday; "a day to be dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be thereafter celebrated and known as 'Armistice Day'."

Those of us who are of a certain age [read OLD] remember when this holiday, along with a few others, was mandated to be held on Mondays...fortunately that hare-brained idea was short lived.

So today, I again honor the men in my life who served in the United States Army. My dad retired as a full-time employee and member of the Illinois National Guard. He enlisted in the Guard years after his World War II Army service had ended and remained there until he retired.

Rich, MOAO, served in Korea ~~ he's quite the handsome devil in that uniform.

My brothers, Wayne and Tom, served in the Army too. Since both are younger than I, I didn't think of either of them as adults until I saw them in uniform. Of course, they're still my pesky little brothers!




















My mom has all four of these photos proudly displayed in the hall right outside the door of her apartment where all of her neighbors can admire them.

Lovin' Life ~~ Honoring Service
  Bev 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading them!