Saturday, October 22, 2011

Remembering ~~ Those Born on This Date

I am 62 years old and, for the first time in my life, there is no one with a birthday to celebrate with today. They are no longer with us in person, but we can certainly celebrate them here.

My dad, Everett Pogue, was born on October 22, 1916. My dear friend and my children's paternal grandmother, Pauline (Eymann) Watt, was born on October 22, 1912. My husband's mother, Sophie (Kott) Ulaszek, was born on October 22, 1906.

When looking back on the birthdays shared with these amazing and much loved members of our family, my favorite was in 1997. They were all visiting Rich and me; that was the only time that all three were together to celebrate that oh-so-special day.


I had baked a red velvet cake and set it on a milk-glass stand from Pauline that had been in her family for ages.

Rich's mom, Sophie, passed away on May 23, 1998.


My Pauline, as I often referred to her, passed away on January 2, 2011.


My dad, Everett, passed away on March 7, 2002.


I often tell the story of this 1997 celebration and cake. There were three other October birthdays that we celebrated that evening: Rich; his sister, Marianne; and our nephew, Chad. That meant there were photos of six people taken with that one "Happy Birthday" cake. When I mailed the photos to Sandee, who lived in California then, she got such a kick out of them...how often is a birthday cake shared by six people, three of whom share the same birthday!?!
 
Lovin' Life ~~ Remembering Loved Ones

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading them!