Sunday, September 30, 2012

Chicago

I LOVE going into the city! This past Thursday we decided to drive in for lunch at our very favorite restaurant...more about that later because it deserves a post of its own.

We were still quite a ways out when we saw the MetLife blimp cruising past the Willis Tower.

Still on I-55 approaching the city.

Oh my! We are here! There's a tiny glimpse of Soldier Field on the right side of this photo.

There are several sculptures along Lake Shore Drive.
Transformation - by Fisher Stolz [Washington, IL]

Navy Pier is visible in the background of this photo.
Flamenco Revisited - by Ruth Migdal [Chicago, IL]

The harbor is still filled with sailboats.



We are very close to our destination now.


After lunch we headed over to Exelon Plaza...


...where Marc Chagall's mosaic The Four Seasons resides.

"Composed of thousands of inlaid chips in over 250 colors, Marc Chagall’s mosaic artwork The Four Seasons portrays six scenes of Chicago. Chagall maintained, “the seasons represent human life, both physical and spiritual, at its different ages.”"  Source http://www.explorechicago.org

This work was dedicated in 1974 and renovated in 1994. I learned of its existence when our niece, Kristen, posted a photo of it on FB earlier that morning. Since we were in the city anyway, I wanted to see it as part of my effort to learn more about Chagall's art to enhance our attendance at Hubbard Street Dance's season opening performance inspired by Chagall's America Windows, which are on permanent display at the Art Institute.



Looking down from the Chagall mosaic onto the fountain in Exelon Plaza.



Grant Park

Grant Park
 And a shot of Buckingham Fountain, tinted with the orange of fall pumpkins and gourds!

I rarely do any color processing but I didn't get a really good shot of the fountain as we drove by so decided to play with this image a bit...this is how I spend my days, playing with photos.

Lovin' Life ~~ And Trips Into the City

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading them!