Friday, January 27, 2012

Balboa Park, San Diego

Sometimes I want to post a bunch of related photos but think that it's just too many for me to upload or for you to scroll through. The photos I took at Balboa Park last Saturday fall into two categories so I created collages of each.

The Spanish-Renaissance style buildings along the El Prado pedestrian walkway were constructed for the 1915-1916 Panama-California Exposition. The arches and columns were of special interest to me. The reflecting pool in the center of this collage lies in front of the building that houses the Botanical Gardens.


Displayed inside the Botanical Building are many exquisite varieties of orchids. 


We also visited the Timken Museum of Art and the San Diego Model Railroad Museum which, at 28,000 square feet, is the largest operating model railroad museum in the world. Of course Rich enjoyed this the most and always gets some ideas for his model railroad.


Although, it appears that they were all enjoying their viewing spot for the toy train layout.



After all that walking and exploring it was finally time to head over to the Old Town Mexican Cafe for dinner. This restaurant was recommended by two of our nieces and for that we say "GRACIAS!" The food was delicious and the atmosphere delightful, starting with the women who make their fabulous tortillas by hand.


The menu listed a dish that was new to all of us, Molcajete, that serves two.


I think both Bill and Deanne would agree that they each could have eaten one! Rich ordered their special Carnitas and I had a combination dinner that included an amazing chicken verde enchilada. When in San Diego, we too recommend this authentic Mexican restaurant.

Lovin' Life ~~ And Days Filled With New Experiences

1 comment:

  1. Did u guys happen to see the purple heart monument in Balboa Park? My dad and several of my uncles names are on it. They installed it three years ago & we all went the ceremony. I'm so proud of them. Wish we didn't miss each other...I try to go out every winter so maybe next year since you are now snow birds :). Give everyone in AZ hugs. D, G & K

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading them!