Tuesday, January 31, 2012

La Jolla, CA ~~ Sea Lions, Seals, and Much More

I am desperately trying to catch up my blog posts. January has been such a month of turmoil and sadness for our families back home that I just want to start fresh in February.

While in San Diego we visited the Museum of Contemporary Art in La Jolla. This view of the building is on the ocean side and the cluster of boats at the top of the museum is an installation called Pleasure Point, created by Nancy Rubin. The angles of the building form a work of art themselves. Unfortunately, no photography is allowed in the museum so I can't share any of the art.


The scene below is of La Jolla Cove where many sea lions, seals, pelicans, cormorants, and sea gulls hang out.

The first time I was there, on Friday the 20th, these two sea lions were carrying on quite a conversation which I filmed and embedded below.






When we returned to La Jolla on Sunday the 22nd, we spent time watching the Harbor Seals at Casa Beach. Harbor seals are hauled out of the ocean 30% to 40% of the time to rest and absorb oxygen; this beach is a favorite spot for them to haul out. I tried to upload a movie of them but can't stay connected long enough to accomplish that so finally just gave up. Here are the Harbor Seals at Casa Beach.



























This adorable squirrel just sat there nibbling on blades of grass while I stood not four feet away at the top of the cliffs when I was taking pictures of the seals. What a cutie!


As we walked from Casa Beach to La Jolla Cove, we saw:

Huge Waves


Pelicans
























Wind Sculpted Trees



















Arriving at the Cove again, we watched the sea lions for a long time. With such huge waves, they were having a tough time getting up onto the rocks. We watched several of them for a long time and then, just two seconds after I turned off my camera, the two on the left caught a wave and leaped up onto the lower ledge. Another movie I had hoped to upload tonight shows them walking around, so proud of their accomplishment; it is very cool.


Lovin' Life ~~ In San Diego and La Jolla

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading them!