Saturday, June 15, 2013

Day 15 - Mount Vernon

Today was a major milestone for the kids...when we drove into Virginia that became their 25th State. I think it's so cool that they have visited half of our great American States!


We were in Virginia to visit Mount Vernon, George Washington's home. I'm posting this next photo because it is so funny. Without giving it a thought, I stood at the back like I always have since I've always been taller than they, but look at them now...giggle!


Our grandkids with George and Martha and their grandkids! In this Visitor Center they show a movie about George Washington that is the best we've ever seen while visiting a historical place. The Founders of this great country did so at the risk of their lives and their fortunes. Who would do that today? Don't miss it if you visit Mount Vernon.


I was thrilled when I saw this. That stranger must be a photographer!

 Time to tour the house.

The scenes of the Potomac were perfect today. I wish I could have sat in one of the chairs on the back patio all afternoon. Here are just a couple of scenes.



This is a circa 1850 Pecan Tree...magnificent!

Lovin' everything in this scene.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love this guy?

George Washington was there today and one of the tour guides explained that, if we happened upon him while there, we should bow or curtsy. She also described exactly how to do that. In this next shot, the kids were practicing their bows and curtsy.


On our way home, Rich drove through Washington, DC. I hope we can get closer to the White House than this on a tour!


We saw many other buildings that we hopefully will get a closer look at in the next two days. This is Arlington National Cemetery which we did drive to today.


Arlington is such an awesome, sobering place.

Lovin' Life ~~ And American History

1 comment:

  1. I never thought of you as short....until now! giggle giggle :) kap

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love reading them!