Sunday, August 8, 2010

Yellowstone Wildlife Sightings...Really!

We traveled through much of Yellowstone today and are both exhausted tonight. I took nearly 350 photos and a few movies. Again, you would have to insert your own adjectives because I've exhausted my supply...the forests, the flowers, the lakes, the rivers, the waterfalls, the wildlife, and Old Faithful along with the many other geothermal features. I will post photos as soon as I can, perhaps group them somehow.


I'm starting this post with my favorite photo of the day. We watched this Bison bull ford the river, amble through this meadow, cross the road, and then meander off...unbelievably lucky timing!

In all, we had three separate Bison sightings, the bull above and two herds. The photo below shows just how nonchalantly they walk across the road, completely ignoring all the vehicles and people.

Moments after this next shot, a bull came charging over and separated this calf from his mother. I had watched that bull nuzzling up to another cow before this who ignored him, so maybe he was hoping to court this poor calf's mama.

While enjoying a picnic lunch in a quiet, lovely, heavily treed area we were visited by three of these birds. Do any of you know what this is? I can't find it on the web tonight. They were silent but very brave, not at all hesitant to come close to us on the picnic table.

At three separate locations in the park, we happened to see Elk cows grazing. As more people stopped, this first one loped away...another lucky shot!

This elk was across a small pond and didn't even acknowledge the presence of all the gawkers.

This last photo is an otter that we saw swimming along a creek. If other people had not been stopped with cameras aimed at something, we would have missed it. I didn't even attempt to take a photo of it swimming so we just watched. Again, patience paid off when he left the water and I was able to take this shot.

Lovin' Life ~~ Especially in the Wild!
  Bev 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading them!