Friday, August 12, 2011

Montpelier, VT

As we travel I'm often drawing attention to and happily exclaiming about something or other that catches my eye. When the grands were with us this summer, they started replying, "Grandma, you love everything!" That includes my love of state capitols and bookstores.

Yesterday afternoon we drove down to Montpelier and discovered that Vermont may have the most beautiful state house of all! This is the Vermont State House...


...and a closeup of that gorgeous dome that glistens like the finest gold when struck by the sun.


The Victorian architecture of homes near the State House has been maintained in perfect condition and they are now home to various departments of the State. As in other Vermont towns we've seen, there were several churches crowned with magnificent steeples.






































The downtown streets were lined with a great variety of shops, something that is rare nowadays, extinct even in areas where a WalMart is nearby. I've enjoyed seeing all of these small towns that still have business districts much like the one in the town where I grew up.

Our favorite store in Montpelier was Rivendell Books. Now this is a book store!








































On the tables out front I had found two books before I even stepped foot in the store and it didn't take long for me to find two more after entering. I knew I had to get out of there so I took these few photos, told Rich I would meet him outside, and quickly paid for my books.

Two storefronts down there was a park bench on the sidewalk where I waited for Rich. This Poe quote was intended to draw customers to the Three Penny Taproom across from my bench...love this downtown!







































It didn't take Rich much longer to realize that there were far more books of interest than what we have space to carry or time to read. Here he is with his bag, which also contains four books.

Lovin' Life ~~ And the Capitol of Vermont
Bev

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love reading them!